Monday, February 7, 2011

Linkup to Sweet & Tasty Monday and my Valentines Day Cookies



Dont' forget to become a follower of my blog for your chance to win a cookbook, read about it here.

I am giving this linkup thing a try and decided to do Sweet &Tasty Monday. Each Monday I will feature a post on, you guessed it, SWEETS !!  I hope you all share your sweet recipes.  You can add your link from Monday morning thru Saturday night.  I hope everyone enjoys this and please make sure to visit all the great entries posted. 

For my first official Sweet & Tasty Monday I made the cutest cookies for my two Valentines. They were quick and easy.  The recipe calls for boxed cake mix with homemade frosting, but you could use canned frosting, I won't tell, promise.  They are quick, easy and delicious !! 
Bite Sized Valentines Day Cookies


Chocolate Cookie Dough

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 stick melted butter
1 egg

Vanilla Cookie Dough

1 box vanilla cake mix
1 stick melted butter
1 egg

Frosting

5  cup powdered sugar
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tea. almond flavoring
1/2 tea. pink food coloring (I use Americolor)


In a large mixing bowl combine cookie dough ingredients depending on what flavor cookie you are making. If using only one flavor, double the recipe.  I made half vanilla and half chocolate, so one box of each.  Mix for about 1 minute, or until all ingredients are incorporated.  With samll cookie scoop, scoop balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Smash the balls down just a bit with the bottom of a glass. Bake the cookies at 350 for about 7-8 minutes. These cookies are small, so watch them, you don't want to over bake them. Take them out of the oven when the tops have cracked.  Let them cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes you can place the cookies on a cooling rack.

Frosting Directions
In a mixing bowl, whip the butter until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar, food coloring and the almond extract.  Add the milk a tablespoon at a time. You want the frosting to be creamy, not runny.  Add more food coloring to make desired shade of pink.

Frost the bottom of a cookie and place another cookie on top.

17 comments:

  1. These look so tasty. I love the cake-like cookies that are generally the result of using a boxed mix. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I'm your new follower! You have a lovely blog. The photos make me want to eat all the yummy food on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look really tasty! What a fun treat for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi love the look of the cookies and would love to try them, being in Australia not quite sure how much a stick of butter is worth. Would appreciate if you could let me know how many grams.
    Cheers,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristy,
    Not sure about grams. We buy our butter by the pound. Each pound is divided into 4 sticks. So I believe a quarter of a pound is one stick of butter. Really hope this helps !!! Send me a picture of your cookies when you make them !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to everyone for posting all the great comments, I really appreciate it. It makes all the effort I put into this blog worth while !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your beautiful blog through Tailgating Time. Your food looks delicious! I can't wait to see what else you cook up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to tell you how pretty your Valentine cookies look. I'm linking up some I recently made for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe and a beautiful cookie, thank you. Hello, I'm your newest follower from the blog hop. Hope you'll come visit and follow me too. I'd love to be one of your blogging friends. Thanks! Great looking blog btw.

    http://exjw-foodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Valentine Cookies are adorable and look delicious. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miz Helen,
    Thank you for the invite and the great comment. I look forward to Thursday !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ExJW33,
    Thank you for the comment !! I would love to be blogging friends !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Cake mix cookies are one of my favorites.

    I'm hosting a weekly link up called Sweet Tooth Friday. I'd love to have you share your recipe. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/10/spicy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are wonderful and so easy - that's impressive! Thanks for linking it up at the Tailgating Time Super Bowl party. I just posted a Valentine's Day party for this week, hope to see you there!
    I will link up the photo for my party on your linky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up to my Valentine's Party :-)

    ReplyDelete